Young people and adults undergoing oncological treatment or in remission need several years to adapt both psychologically and socially to the changed circumstances. Patients and their relatives usually face not only social, physical and psychological problems, but also problems arising from the relationship with oneself, change in communication with the social environment, spiritual and existential difficulties. Together with "Aukok.lt", the first in Lithuania that provides integral assistance was built and established, St. Franciscan Oncology Center in Klaipėda.
Your support would provide the opportunity for about 1,440 Lithuanian oncology patients, treated outside the hospital or in a period of remission, to receive the necessary comprehensive help for one year free of charge - psychosocial and wellness services (individual psychologist consultations, individual consultations of a social worker, physical activity classes, musical relaxation and individual relaxation, for their relatives (about 70 persons) - psychological consultations and consultations of a social worker).
The project would help:
• create favorable conditions for overcoming the psychological and social crisis;
• to teach new behavior models in the situation of oncological disease;
• reduce biosocial stress (insomnia, anxiety, fear and physical discomfort would decrease, sleep quality would improve, immunity would increase, etc.);
• increase physical activity, which affects better well-being and recovery. Physical activity is necessary after surgical treatment to restore the lost mobility of body parts (scars, nerve numbness, etc.) in order to start further treatment with radiation therapy;
• improve the quality of life (the patient would gain more independence and abilities, orientation in the social environment would improve, communication would increase, etc.)
• satisfy the need for communication (it would help to overcome the feeling of loneliness, mistrust, get the necessary information, etc.);
• return to full-fledged social life (work/professional, social activities, studies, etc.).
More information: www.onkocentras.lt also in Facebook page „Šv. Pranciškaus onkologijos centras“..